Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Great thoughts of the week!!!

I have compiled a short list of some great thoughts I've stumbled through this week. I have read, heard, felt, and experienced all of them somehow or another...

- Successful organizations spend a lot of time saying, "that's not what we do." "That's not what we do," is the backbone of strategy, it determines who you are and where you're going. Except when opportunities come along. Except when people in the organization forget to ask, "why?" If the only reason you don't do something is because you never did, that's not a good reason. - Seth Godin

- Here's a rule that's so inevitable that it's almost a law: As an organization grows and succeeds, it sows the seeds of its own demise by getting boring. With more to lose and more people to lose it, meetings and policies become more about avoiding risk than providing joy.

- “Though expressed in a variety of behaviors,” Tim Irwin writes, “leaders fail because a lack of failure of one of these four critical qualities” (p. 17):

  1. Authenticity
  2. Self-management
  3. Humility
  4. Courage

- For critical thinkers: Let our minds be focused on the creative and on the constructive above the critical and corrective.

1 comment:

People Helping People said...

Mike I love your blog. I am very new to blogging as you can probably see from my blog. I am just starting and my passion is that I feel there is a new kind of "poor", the middle class poor. I feel that everyone is capable of doing something no matter how small and simple it may seem when added together it will be huge. I live in a town just east of Richmond, VA. called Mechanicsville. I feel that there has been so much organized and done for the poor that we are accustom to but nothing is being done on a larger basis to help the people affected by this economy. My blog may give you a little insite to this and as I said I am just getting started.

My goal is not to only get something started in Mechanicsville, but also in the surrounding tri cities and then hopefully people will start to see that they can do this in their area also.

I believe that most important the Lord and God, whom I now call Papa, after reading the book "the shack", and for my own personal reasons. But after God it is the kindness, love and giving that is going to see us through this world. We have lived so long, myself guilty as well, in only thinking of doing for our families and those close to us that now is the time that we need to go beyond that. Also, I don't just leave this giving to the ones who donate canned goods, money, toys etc, during Thanksgiving and Christmas and other Holidays but this is an undertaking that needs to be a steady basis throughout the year.
I have compiled a draft which I am trying to get across who is really capable of helping other people. I beleve it is every human being no matter what age, income level and I believe it's endless. From the child who thinks of a toy out of his toys, new or old that he wants to give to someone on to the Doctors, Dentist etc, who could donate an hour or two at a time even monthly, what if all of them did that. Imagine the impact. Currently there is nothing set up for keeping the family pets with the families. This has so many positive effects on people, children and the lists goes on. Well, what if the every vet donated a little something. Discounted shots, a vet tech volunteering an hour or so of their time to give vaccines to pets that other people have given money to purchase from the companies that make them and donate them at well reduced prices.

I so thank you for listening and I'm sure you can see that I could go on and on for hours. This is something that came to me somehow and won't let me alone. It's like constantly I can see how it could grow into a total new way of living in which will grace everyone's hearts and how could they not see God in it even though he is only shown and not even preached to those who don't wish to hear the words.

Mike, Honestly, I will stop here. Please contact me and give me your thoughts. I have sifted through many awesome blogs but yours is the first that I feel compelled to write to. All the others were lucky huh?? Until later my friend

Suzie Martin

http://peepshelpingpeeps.blogspot.com/