Monday, July 21, 2008

Lost the Fire?

I confess. I have a ton of hobbies. Hobbies keep me on the edge and I am obsessive, at least for a while, about any that I experience. I research products, techniques, reviews, and professionals who are great at what they do. Through the years, I have tried tennis, basketball, football, math club, table tennis, pool, paintball, golf, guitar, hiking, biking, backpacking, running, and fashion to name a few. The problem of motivation becomes the "it" factor when progress from a beginner to expert.

A few leaders in Success Magazine were recently asked the following question:

Q: I get so excited about my goals and then I lose motivation. How can I keep myself constantly motivated and on track?

A: "The starting point of all achievement is desire. Keep this constantly in mind. Weak desires bring weak results, just as a small amount of fire brings a small amount of heat. If you find yourself lacking in persistence, the weakness may be remedied by building a stronger fire under your desire.”

To build a stronger fire you have to surround yourself with the dream so you are constantly reminded of it. Have a goal for a custom home? Start clipping pictures and plans of custom homes that appeal to you. Be a regular visitor to open houses featuring custom homes. Hire an architect to design the custom home you envision (that act of faith alone will probably bring you closer to your goal than most anything you can do). Taking any type of action toward your goal will stoke your desire.

No comments: