Sunday, April 13, 2008

Rolling Your Cross


On the way home, I encountered something of unique value for my spiritual life (excuse the not so good quality cell phone picture). The picture is a gentleman, probably well meaning, rolling a cross down a major intersection in Springfield. My thoughts immediately went to John 19:17 where the Bible says, "Carrying his own cross, he went out to the place of the Skull (which in Aramaic is called Golgotha)." At first glance, I thought what a wimp! "Jesus did not roll his cross, he carried it," I arrogantly said to my wife.

In a moment of divine revelation, the Spirit showed me that I'm stupid (this happens to me a lot). Luke 14:27 says, "anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple."

We are charged to carry our cross, a symbolic representation of sacrifice and redemption. What cross are you carrying... or rolling? I respect this man for rolling his cross. Maybe this was the only cross he could bear. It is so easy to criticize another's cross. It is equally hard to be vulnerable about our crosses. Our cross feels personal. It is hard to be the real you when you feel like people may crucify you to the cross that you are carrying...or rolling.

Whether you are carrying or rolling your cross, continue on! May we live only for His approval while we carry or roll our cross.

No comments: